Thursday 11 June 2009

Blaxploitation Films (Pocket Essentials, 2001)

This was the first book I ever published. I hate it. I tried to be 'cool & hip' and ended up coming across like a total moron. Thankfully, I have a completely revised (and expanded) 2nd edition coming out in November 2009 which hopefully rectifies many of the stupid comments I made in the original.

That being said, this book is probably the most cited in academic papers of any of my research. (Go figure!) The irony being that this book was never sufficiently academic enough to be submitted for RAE consideration (nor was it ever intended as such), and yet, according the bibliometrics the REF may follow, due to its frequent citation, it seems to have accrued some academic value.


For those interested: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaxploitation-Films-Pocket-Essentials-Mikel/dp/1903047587/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244711979&sr=8-6

It has been cited in:
  • Novotny Lawrence (2007). Blaxploitation Films of the 1970s: Blackness and Genre London: Routledge;
  • Gerald A. Powell (2004) A Rhetoric of Symbolic Identity: An Analysis of Spike Lee's Malcolm X and Bamboozled. University Press of America;

The book is discussed/cited in the following articles:

I've also found the book cited in the following student papers/dissertations:

And finally, in the blogsphere:
Recommended reading by www.blaxploitation.com

I'm sure there are more out there, but its a start. If anyone has any additional citations, please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Check out "Black Frankenstein" by Elizabeth Young, your book gets mentioned in the notes.

    ReplyDelete